Thursday, September 01, 2011

Why Job, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs and Romans?

These are the four books that made my mental list for needing further investigation while completing the Bible in 90 Days.

Job
After suffering incomprehensible loss when my son, Sam, died at birth, Job's suffering spoke to me.

Ecclesiastes
My interest in Ecclesiastes also relates to the loss of Sam. There have definitely been times in the last 12 years where I've wondered if he died because of some wrongdoing of mine from my past. Some people find Ecclesiastes demotivating due to its "good and bad happen to everyone regardless of their deeds, it is just how life works" theme. I found it refreshing and reassuring. I want to read it more slowly and see if I still find it refreshing and what else I might learn.

Proverbs
I've always thought of myself as a pretty practical person. Proverbs is right up my alley. Very straight forward and simple. But Proverbs is not a book to be read in two days, which is what I did on the B90 plan. There are too many pieces of advice to be absorbed in that short of a period. I want to savor Proverbs, slowly.

Romans
In my quick read of Romans, it stuck out as being the Christianity 101 manual. I want to look at this book in real depth. I think it has a lot to teach me. I want to see what I can learn if I truly study this book.

I don't know when or how I will investigate these further. But I'm sure I'll figure something out soon. What I do know from completing The Bible in 90 Days is that I need to come up with a plan and a timeline and stick to it.

Jenn


No comments: