Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Coo Coo Chicken

Charlotte helped Michael plan our menu for the week. Yes, we plan our menu. It makes grocery shopping easier and makes dinner prep easier as I skip the "what do I feel like fixing for dinner" step. Charlotte's pick was Toasted Cous Cous with Chicken. She thought it was a funny name and dubbed it Coo Coo Chicken.

Last night was Coo Coo Chicken night. Michael had a meeting and wasn't going to be home for dinner. I seriously considered cooking something else as I knew I wasn't feeding cous cous to the twins (too messy), Rehm wouldn't eat it and Michael wasn't home. But since it was the dish Charlotte wanted this week I decided to go ahead. She helped me make the cous cous (which is not actually toasted - haven't figured that out yet). At dinner time I decide to add cheese toast to the menu so there would be something on everyone's plate they would definitely eat.

We sit down to dinner. This is the conversation I had with Rehm.

Rehm: I don't like anything on my plate
Me: Sure you do you like cheese toast
Rehm: It's the wrong kind of bread and the wrong kind of cheese.
Me: You eat both of those.
Rehm: I only eat that bread for peanut butter and jelly and I don't like American cheese.
Me: You eat American cheese all the time.
Rehm: Yeah, only on grilled cheese!
Me: And how is a grilled cheese different from cheese toast?

He proceeded to ask for cinnamon toast and dessert. He got neither. He ate nothing on his plate. I refused to fix him anything else. Next time maybe cheese toast will sound more appetizing to him.

Charlotte would not actually try the Coo Coo Chicken and only picked the cheese off of her cheese toast and ate her strawberries.

Why did I go to the trouble of Coo Coo Chicken? If you figure it out let me know.
Jenn

1 comment:

Shelly Kelly said...

It's called "sticking to the planned menu". I honestly haven't the foggiest idea what cous cous chicken is. I roared over the conversation with Rehm. I've had those conversations with Brenna.

Hope he decides he likes it next time. (I adore cheese toast; we eat it for breakfast.)