Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thanks, Go Fish!

Today we were listening to Go Fish Kickin' It Old School in the van while running errands.  The song This Is My Father's World came on.  At the beginning of the song there is talking, honestly I've not listened to the talking too closely as the kids are usually all talking and I can't hear it all.  It sounds like news audio from after 911 and other catastrophes and a child saying the Lord's Prayer.  Rehm made the statement, "Mom, why did God make all those bad things happen?" 

I got the privilege to take 10 minutes to share part of my faith and my beliefs about God with all four of my kids.  Partially because Go Fish sparked the question in Rehm and partly because I had a captive audience.  We talked about things like free will and omniscience and omnipotent and how they all work together.

I explained that while God knew  those bad things would happen and he is powerful enough to change them that he gives us free will.  That He wants us to choose Him and to choose good. We also talked about how sometimes there are good things that come out of bad things.  And how those good things don't make the bad things OK but allow us to find hope and peace. 

This is a conversation we would not have had today had it we had not been listening to Go Fish.  Once again, I say thank you for the great music and the great discussions (the discussion I'm referring to is about halfway down the post). 

Jenn

PS.  I love this new CD.  It is mostly remakes of good old hymns.  I had a conversation with a homeless man today after he chuckled watching me grooving to I'll Fly Away. And those of you who know me, know I'm not the type to be grooving to anything.  I have yet to hear a Go Fish CD that our family didn't love.  And no, they are not paying me or giving me free CDs to say it.

No comments: