Monday, January 21, 2008

Onomatopoeia

Today I was in the car with all the kids. Rehm was in the back reading his beloved Pokemon book. I hate this book and Pokemon in general as he is obsessed with them, but he actually reads the book and makes charts comparing the different Pokemon so I deal. He was sounding out one Pokemon name. It had the "dr" sound and he asked me what sound "d-r" makes. I told him " 'dr,' like drip, drop and drink" and went back to listening to the radio. A few seconds later I heard him mutter "Onomatopoeia."

After I recovered from the shock, righted the van and closed my mouth, I asked him if he just said onomatopoeia and he said "Yeah" in that "so what's the big deal" tone. So I asked him if he knew what it meant and he said "Yeah that is when a word is like it sounds."

I was completely shocked and pleasantly surprised that onomatopoeia is already in his vocabulary, I didn't hear the word until I was in high school.

Next thing I know he'll be able to spell it!
Jenn

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wonder where they hear these words? Zander told Summers that he was a nonconformist at our Christmas gathering this year. I have no idea where he heard that.