Friday, April 29, 2011

The Royal Wedding

Charlotte and I had been talking about the upcoming nuptials for a few days. We decided that we would wake up in time to see the actual ceremony live. When we were discussing this and what time the coverage started, Rehm thought it was ridiculous that coverage was starting two hours prior to the event. Then I pointed out that he was at that very moment watching the NFL draft and that it was several months before the season even started. He didn't get my point but his father told him he needed to give up his argument at that time.

I am not a morning person. That is actually a drastic understatement. I despise getting up before 7:00am. But I wanted to create a special memory for my Charlotte. I remember watching Princess Diana and Prince Charles' wedding, well the replay. No one watched it with me nor got me up early to watch it. Honestly, I don't even think I knew it was happening until I turned on the TV and wedding coverage was my only choice on all three channels we could pick up. I was at my grandparents that day and I'm sure I watched the CBS coverage as that is the station my grandfather always watched in the mornings.

So, in the spirit of making special memories, I set my clock for 5:00am. Ugh! When the alarm went off I thought seriously about going back to sleep until 6:00. Charlotte would still have time to see all the good parts. But I had told her we would watch it live so I forced myself to get up.

We brought a quilt downstairs and curled up together on the couch. When we turned on the TV Kate was walking down the aisle! Perfect timing.

We ended up rewinding a bit so we could start with Kate leaving the hotel. We had so much fun watching, talking about the dress, all the amazing hats, and the ceremony. This time with Charlotte was sweet, simple and perfect.

Around 6:00am Rehm joined us. I swear that child asked a thousand questions in the hour he watched with us. Everything from why Prince Phillip wasn't a king and what rank in the military Price Charles had to why there were lamps in the choir loft. The child did not have a single thought that was not verbalized.

When we arrived at school I was glad to see the boy head to his class and know I wouldn't be answering incessant questions for the next seven hours. I apologized to Charlotte's teacher for waking her up early. Then I decided I should stop by Rehm's classroom and apologize to his teacher as well for all the questions I knew she would be getting. Not surprisingly, when I got to his class he was standing in the doorway talking his teacher's ear off.

It was a perfect morning with my two older children. I hope 30 years from now when Kate and Williams child is getting married they will remember and tell their children all about this day.

It was totally worth getting up at 5:00am. I'm just glad I don't have to do it regularly.

Jenn - Posted from my iPhone

No comments: