Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tea Party Fun

This past weekend we were invited to a three generation tea.  It was so much fun.  The night before I decided after spending the whole day at the ballpark that I needed a little crafting therapy and bought supplies to make me and my girls hats for the occasion.  I got to the craft store about a half an hour before closing so I had to be quick.  Having just seen the royal wedding our hats ended up a bit more ostentatious than they might otherwise have been.  I had so much fun making the hats.  And luckily, all the girls loved them.


When buying hat supplies the first thing I spotted were birds.  I bought one for each girl in their favorite color and then picked one for me as well.  Then I looked for affordable flowers in coordinating colors for everyone.  Last I bought a single spool of ribbon that would work with all the hats.  One hot glue gun, an hour of time and lots of eye-rolling from Michael and I had four hats perfect for a tea party.

The girls were each thrilled with their hats.  I got lucky in that they all agreed to wear the dresses I suggested that I knew would look great with their hats.  Then we went to my closet to find jewelry and accessories.  Overall, I think it all came together nicely.

One side story about my hat.  When I was picking my flowers I spotted artificial money plant.  It immediately took me back to my childhood as my grandmother grew it in her garden.  She would let the seed stalks dry, cut them and then peel the outer layers of the seed pod off to reveal the silvery round pieces.  She would then use the stalks in flower arrangements.  I loved getting to help with the money plant and always thought it was so pretty.  So upon spotting it in the craft store I knew I had to have it for my hat.


The tea was such a lovely event.  There were 14 of us in all.  The tables were beautifully set in the garden.  The refreshments were divine and everyone had a wonderful, relaxing time.  The really neat thing is all three families have know each other for 35+ years.


The tea even included a fashion show of the seven girls in attendance.  They did a great job of showing off their fancy attire.




We had so much fun.  It was the great end to a crazy weekend.  And it was something I hope my girls remember for a long time.

Jenn

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Think these pictures of Ruby (especially the seated one) may be my all time favorites. Is that a "June" butterfly you have on/ If not, it would have been if she had seen it.