Monday, December 24, 2018

Effort

We have many Christmas traditions.  Many of which revolve around food.  One of which is Christmas cake.  I've been making this cake for 21 years.  It was on the cover of the December Southern Living the year I got married.  It was beautiful and I decided I should try it.  It was a hit and a tradition was born.

This year.  One of my girls made the cake.  I was busy doing other things so she offered to bake the actual cakes.  Then, when it was time to make the frosting, I asked if she could make it and I would frost it.  She asked to do the actual frosting and I agreed.  She started while I was out running an errand. I wasn't there to offer support and advice.  

Y'all this is a hard cake to frost.  It is a red velvet cake with a white frosting.  It is very easy to end up with pink and red frosting.  That happened today.  She was sad.  And disappointed.  And frustrated. 

But y'all she made a three layer marbled red velvet and white cake with peppermint cream cheese frosting. She did it.  She persevered.  Is it the most beautiful cake you've ever seen?  No.  Is it the best Christmas cake you will ever eat?  ABSOLUTELY!  And you know what? Next year she will do better frosting it than she did this year, and the year after that, even better.  I'm proud of her.  Not because she made a magazine cover worthy cake but because she went all in and gave it her best effort.  And because she did so to allow me to get other things done.  

The cake that will be on the table tonight for six families to enjoy will not just be a cake. It will be the sacrifice of her own time, her caring of others, her hard work, her expectations, her love and a whole lot of  hope.  And I can tell you now it will be beautiful.  And it will taste even better. 

I have a daughter with a big heart for others and I love her dearly,
Jenn

No comments: