Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Finding the Positive

Ruby and Eliza Claire just came downstairs abuzz about the bags Charlotte is making for them. Ruby's is to hold her "detective stuff," and Eliza Claire's is for her "science stuff."

When asked what fabric Charlotte was using I was told she
Had gotten it from my stash. I have a drawer full of fabric specifically for their use. They are free to get anything in it, at any time, without permission.

If they want fabric from my stash they have to ask first. That way I'm sure they aren't using something I have plans for or one of my more expensive fabrics, you know the ones from a quilt store.

The fabric she chose was not slated for a specific fabric - positive. It was from a quilt store - negative. She was sewing on her own - positive. She was making something for someone else - positive. She felt confident tackling a project without help - positive. She disobeyed the rules - negative.



My gut reaction was to get mad and give her consequences. Luckily, I had 10 seconds to evaluate the situation before she got downstairs. I decided it was already sewn and the positives outweighed the negatives and gently reminded her of the rules and complimented her on her work.

Honestly, my fabric is more modern and bright that the stuff they have access to without asking. So my fabric loving self totally understands her choice.

Jenn- Posted from my iPhone

No comments: