Friday, June 22, 2007

Note to Self

Don't leave the room when children are playing with play dough.

I decided to be Super Cool Mommy and make play dough with the big kids this afternoon. Of course they enjoyed measuring, mixing and kneading. Once it was done they got out some play dough toys and were sitting happily playing. I decided to go upstairs and fold a load of laundry. A few minutes later Rehm came to tell me Charlotte had put some of her play dough in water. Still I wasn't too concerned. Of course I came downstairs to find huge blobs of wet, messy, gooey playdough, water dripping from the counter, and a girl with play dough smeared all down the front of her outfit.

So half of our new, just made play dough is now in the trash, a girl is in another set of clothes and they are getting ready to color. I wonder what excitement that will bring.

Ah the joys of summer,
Jenn

Play Dough Recipe (I like this one because it is a no cook recipe)

1 cup salt
2 cups sifted flour (I didn't sift it - I never do)
2 tablespoons alum
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water

Mix all ingredients together until they form a smooth dough. Food coloring can be added to the water before adding it to the mixture. More flour may be needed to get the right consistency. Can be stored in a zip top bag for several weeks.

No comments: