Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mayborn Planetarium

Ruby and Michael ready for the show

Rehm's cub scout troop took a field trip to the Mayborn Planetarium in Killeen, TX on Saturday. Rehm and I were the only ones of our family that had been to a planetarium before. I've been to the Morehead Planetarium in Chapel Hill, NC several times and Rehm has been to the planetarium at SciWorks in Winston-Salem, NC.

Rehm checking out the day/night cycle of the Earth

We had a fun trip. Ruby could not be quite so she had to leave early. Charlotte had a terrible time sitting still but made it through the show. Rehm wasn't sitting with us but said he enjoyed it. After the Cowboy Astronomer show we went into the lobby and looked at the few exhibits they had. Rehm loved looking at the revolving globe that showed the day/night cycle. He was completely mesmeroized by it. He also got to touch a rock from space.

Rehm touching a rock from space

Rehm's favorite thing about the trip to the planetarium was seeing the movie. Charlotte's favorite thing was that the movie told you how the cowboy grew up.

It made me want to drive out in the country and find a quite spot to lay and stare at the sky. It also made me want to learn the constellations again. I learned 20 or so in 8th grade sciene (thanks Mr. Loomis) that I could easily identfy from my back yard. Now I'm doing good to find Orion and the Big Dipper. Maybe in my spare time I'll take up astronomy. Ha!

Jenn

2 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks for posting the Morehead link. We really want to take the boys there when we visit my parents this summer.

Brenna and Molly said...

Rehm looks so handsome in his scout uniform! Glad you all enjoyed the outing.