Sunday, March 08, 2009

Yum, My Favorite Spaghetti Sauce

OK it is one of my favorites, but it is the one I made this week and that I currently have in the fridge so that makes it my favorite today.

I originally read this recipe in one of Nicholas Sparks books. And until I just googled it I could not have told you which book it was. It is True Believer. I still can't tell you any thing about the book expect this recipe is in it and when I read it I remember thinking I wanted to try it. I did not write the recipe down and so by the time I actually decided to try it, it was a bit fuzzy. So here is my version.

Sparks Spaghetti Sauce
2 28 oz. cans San Marzano tomatoes (must be this type, they are sweeter than regular tomatoes, if you don't want to spend the $$ on two cans buy one and then add 28 oz of regular whole tomatoes in sauce, but it is better with the 2 cans of San Marzanos and you can find them in your regular grocery store on the tomato isle)
2 large onions quartered or coarsely chopped
3-6 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed with the flat side of a knife
1 stick real butter - no margarine please
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot, bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer for one hour uncovered. Use and immersion blender to puree the sauce. Serve over pasta. Top with Parmesan cheese.

I just looked up Nicholas Sparks' version of the recipe and mine varies a bit from his so try which ever you want. But I promise it is super yummy, quick and simple.

My current favorite pasta is the Racconto 8 Whole Grain Pasta. It has 7 grams of fiber in a serving and has several different grains in it so it does not taste like whole wheat pasta. I love it! I would have never bought it but thanks to The Grocery Game I found it on sale at my store and stocked up on it.

If you try this recipe let me know how you like it!
Jenn

PS. Mom and Helene, if you are reading this, I have a very cheap, crappy immersion blender that doesn't come apart to be washed. I'd really like on that does come apart as this is one of the kitchen items I use very frequently. This would make a great birthday present. Yes, I know I'm not very subtle :)

No comments: