Monday, June 13, 2011

The Bible in 90 Days: Two Weeks In

It has been a little over two weeks since I started reading The Bible in 90 Days.  I am so glad I took this challenge.  It has been an amazing experience so far.

I have had more discussions with more people about the Bible in the last two weeks than I can count.  It is so refreshing to have these conversations with my husband, my son, my friends, and fellow church goers.  It feels like everyone is talking about the Bible and we are all talking about the same parts.  It is great.

I have found that I have no time to read anything other than my Bible reading each day.  I'm an avid reader and on some level I am really missing my mindless, for entertainment only reading.  But, I am really enjoying reading all the bits and pieces that get left out between the Bible stories you learn in Sunday School. 

Rehm and I were talking about how tedious it was to read about the building of the Tabernacle.  I was telling him it was one of my favorite studies in Elementary Sunday School.  Of course, that was back in the days of flannel boards which I loved anyway. Apparently kids today think flannel boards are boring.  These kids, they just don't know what they are missing.  A well told flannel board story is awesome.

I loved watching my Sunday School teacher slowly build each layer of the Tabernacle.  I was completely amazed.  I didn't feel that way reading about it.  It was pretty tedious, but it did bring back the fond childhood memories for me.  Of course, in Elementary Sunday School we didn't talk about the logistics of actually moving about the wilderness for many, many years with this humongous tent building.  It never occurred to me then to wonder how it got moved.  But you know what?  Now I know the answer to that question!  How cool is that?

I have finished through Deuteronomy.  While I have enjoyed the reading, some of it has been pretty tedious.  There are many things that I don't identify with (the constant gore of the sacrifices, the harshness of God when wrong is done, the complete obliteration of nations).  It is hard to comprehend and reconcile with.  But I know every word was written so that I would know my  God better and deeper and so that I would fully appreciate the gift of Jesus Christ.

I am glad to be taking this journey and glad to have so many around me along for the ride.

Jenn

No comments: