Thursday, January 03, 2013

Night Time Songs

My girls have always insisted that I sing them a bedtime song.  Strangely enough it is not something Rehm has ever requested.  Rehm was always so happy to go to bed and to sleep that he rarely cared about prolonging the bedtime routine.  Of course now that he is older he will do anything he can to push his bedtime back but he still doesn't request songs.

Charlotte has always requested the same song.  Honestly we've probably been singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to her since she was a year old.  Every night, it never varies.  It must be Twinkle, Twinkle.  I have modified the words a bit to make it more special.  "You're my diamond in the sky, Twinkle, twinkle little star, How I love just who you are!"

Ruby has had a few songs.  For about six months when she was two, her song was John, Jacob, Jingle, Hiemer, Schmidt.  Then she got stuck on what she refers to as "Doddle, Loos" which is A Bushel and a Peck.  I don't see her changing her pick anytime soon. 

Eliza Claire was stuck on ABC's for a very long time, she specifically likes the Go Fish version which has a bit added to the end.  Then about two years ago, I sang the Oscar Mayer Bologna song one day when making bologna sandwiches for lunch.  All the kids looked at me like I was crazy.  I did what any good parent would and quickly found the original commercial on YouTube and played it for them.  Eliza Claire has asked for "Oscar Mayer" almost every night since.  When I was singing it tonight I wondered if we would ever move on to a more appropriate bedtime song.  For some reason singing about bologna doesn't make me feel all special and loved, but it seems to work for her.

While Rehm has never wanted songs, he did go through a phase where he had a game he played every night.  He was probably 4 or 5 at the time.  When we would tuck him in he would tell us three random words, like ball, fish, and star, and would would have to go back in his room a few minutes later and tell the words back to him.  I guess he was making sure we didn't have early signs of dementia.  Over time it evolved and he started using the same three made up words each night, hee-ya, doo-ah, dub-a-dee.  When asked what the were he told us dub-a-dee was a salty drink.  The others never had a meaning.  He has always been a very unique kid.

It is funny to me how different and special each one of my kids are. 

Jenn

No comments: