Friday, June 24, 2016

Day 7 of 30 Days of Mayhem: Niagara Falls

Y'all this place is stunning.  I could sit and stare at the Falls for hours, Days, maybe weeks.  I honestly don't know how long I would have to be here before they would not be a big deal and a monumental distraction.  I know people come here but why don't more people do this?



We definitely had a slow day today and it was amazing!  Michael, Rehm, Eliza Claire and I went down to breakfast while Ruby and Charlotte slept.  It was real breakfast not typical breakfast included breakfast, with made to order omelets and everything.  OK, so it was buffet breakfast and still included but it was leaps and bounds better than the bowl of instant oatmeal I've had the last five days.  And we get real breakfast two more days before moving on.  Oh my, it just occurred to me that in New York we are staying in a house so I will actually have to have a breakfast plan in addition to a lunch and dinner plan.  Can my breakfast plan be New York bagels?  That sounds yummy to me.

I came back up to send down Ruby and Charlotte.  Charlotte was not happy that we had gone down without them.  Granted she was still sleeping when I got upstairs, but once I woke her she was upset.  According to her we should have woken her (which would have made her mad) or all waited until she and Ruby woke up.  Yeah right, not happening.  By the time she got downstairs to Michael she was over it and did not even mention it to him.  Apparently she was only  upset with me, but that is not anything new.

We did laundry today.  Our last hotel did not have guest laundry facilities.  What is up with that?  I thought they all had at least one washer and dryer on the ground floor, but no such luck outside of Cincy.  Speaking of strange amenities.  One state we were in, Tennessee I think, we stopped multiple places that had to toilets but no stalls between them.  That was a new one for us.  It must be a Tennessee thing, we haven't seen that configuration again since.

We all spent quite a bit of time this morning and afternoon just vegging in our room and taking turns staring out the window at the falls.




After lunch, of leftovers and quesadillas, we decided it was time to explore.  Our plan was to just walk around a bit.  But once we started walking, the kids got excited and wanted to do the Skylon Tower today.  There was no reason not to, so we did.  It was great, though I do have to say that the arcade level and the gift shop level felt like they were stuck in the 80's and somewhat not run down, not deserted, but sad and unkempt in someway.  The observation level was worth it though.  We could see Lake Ontario and across the lake we could see Toronto. And then there were the falls.  I thought there wouldn't be that much difference from what we could see from our hotel since we are pretty high up, but I was wrong.  The angel difference is huge and allowed us to see so much more.
















 



  


We walked down to the park/walkway along the river, closer to the falls to head back to the hotel.





Here is a couple of videos from today.  I would have been doing videos earlier but I could not figure out how to do them on my camera which was surprising and frustrating as I've always had the same brand camera and not problems taking video.  I figured it out today, so now expect more frequent videos of 30 Days of Mayhem as well.


We took the Incline Railway back up to the hotel.  It looks dinky but it takes you up about 170 ft in a minute.  By that point in the day I was happy to not have to climb that much.






When we got back the the hotel, Michael and Rehm went to the grocery store while I took the girls to the pool.





Good thing these are awesome pool pictures, I hit my new camera an knocked it off the table to the ground while sitting at the pool and messed up the LED screen on it.  I am just sick.  It is still usable and still takes awesome pictures, but it has a black spot and half of the the screen now has lines running through it making it hard to frame pictures and review them.  My first thought was I'm glad I did it and not someone else in the family because I would be very upset with them, but it sucks that I have no one to blame but myself, and I do blame myself even though I know it was a simple accident.

 Dinner tonight was box mac and cheese and hot dogs with salad.  I was going to make homemade mac and cheese but Rehm had heard that the Canadian versions was better than the American version and wanted to try it for dinner.  My observation was that it was more orange and tasted different.  The taste was milder and less "cheesy." Rehm's review was, "It's different.  Not better, just different." Not here it is called Kraft Dinner, so it makes no claims of cheesiness.


After dinner the kids entertained us with a show or two. Then they went in the other room and did karaoke using the Roku and the Youtube app.

View at night


No comments: