Monday, February 28, 2011

The problem with being an ostrich


I know I'm not the only one who does this or the only one who knows better than to do this. It is never a good idea, so why do I do it? You know, ignore a problem. The kind of problem that you know is a problem but since you don't know the solution to the problem you ignore it and hope it goes away? Tell me not the only one to do this.

Current problem: moldy passports, wills and birth certificates!

How it happened: I don't know!

Cause: the last two passports we received.

After receiving new passports in 2005 and 2006 we did the responsible thing and stored them in our fire proof box with our other important documents. The next time I had to get something out I noticed a little mold on the two new ones and thought it was strange but not knowing really what to do about it threw the passports in a zip top bag and put them back in the box. Then I promptly forgot all about the problem.

Last week I opened the box to look for birth certificates so I can register Ruby and Eliza Claire for kindergarten and found this mess. One I can no longer ignore.









Luckily, I have a dear friend who is an archivist. I sent her pictures and pleaded for help. Why I didn't do this when I first noticed the mold is beyond me. Thanks to her advice all the documents are now sitting in pans with kitty litter to dry out and then be cleaned. I still don't
understand why the new passports had moisture in them or how something molds in an airtight box. So annoying. Almost as annoying as realizing my "new" five year old passport has never been used. That must be rectified before it expires!

Oh, I didn't find the girls' birth certificates which means I never ordered them when they were born. Just one more thing to add to the to do list. Good thing kindergarten registration is still a month away. Oh, I need to remember to get their immunizations, too.

Does the to do list ever quit growing?
Jenn - Posted from my iPhone

No comments: