Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Poor Maniacs

Everyone was so excited. We were going to the movies this afternoon. We had picked our movie and knew when and where it was playing. Mid morning I told the kids to turn off the TV that we would have no more screens (TV, computer, video games, etc.) until we went to the movies. I didn't want them to be on screen overload before we ever got there. About an hour later, I came downstairs to find one of the Maniacs watching Toy Story 3 on their iPod. I promptly told the maniac in question that they would not be going to the movies but would be calling Grandma to see if she was available to babysit while the rest of us went to the movies. Then it came out that the other three Maniacs had also been watching the movie. Bummer! No movie for anyone today.

The most frustrating part of this incident was that three of the Maniacs took responsibility for their part in watching the movie when they weren't supposed to and accepted the consequences, while the other Maniac kept explaining how it was not their fault but the fault of all others involved. But it was the Maniac in question's iPod and room they were all in. Said Maniac was the main culprit but completely unable to own up to their part. This is an ongoing battle with this child that drives me crazy and concerns me about their future. At some point this child has to learn that they make choices that have consequences, period, end of story, regardless of who else was involved or the circumstances. You have to own your choices and the fall out from said choices. I have yet to convince this child of this fact, but I have not and will not stop trying.

I have to say, I'm not really sad that we missed the movie today. We were planning to see Gnomeo and Juliet. The very first time I saw the preview I swore I would not be seeing it as it looked really dumb. However, it seems to be the only thing out right now that won't terrify at least one of the Maniacs. They think they want to see Mars Needs Moms but I have a feeling at least one of the girls would get too scared in it which means we can't see it when only one parent is going.

Maybe we will try again tomorrow. Maybe they will be better listeners then.

Jenn

No comments: