Thursday, March 31, 2011

Crazy or Sick

Sunday morning Phineas and Isabella had a spat. This was a more dramatic spat than the normal play fighting they do. It left Phineas growling and with the hair raised on his back for a good 30 minutes. It was unusual but not so dramatic I was concerned. We left for church.

We returned home several hours later to find Phineas on the counter in the kitchen growling. When I touched him, his underside was covered in urine. Immediately, I knew something was wrong. I suspected a UTI or a blockage of some sort.

Luckily, our vet has Sunday hours. I called and they said we could bring him in. Then the fun really started. After spending an hour with the cat screaming, and I do mean screaming, growling, hissing and lashing out with claws bared we finally cornered him under a bed and coaxed him out. I promise you, we were much more psychologically scarred by this event than the cat was. In fact, I might have nightmares for years to come. Who knew a ten pound cat could be so terrifying.

When we got to the vet Phineas was acting fine. He would let me pet him, pick him up, etc. The vet kept him overnight and said she found nothing wrong. Our instructions have been to watch him and see what happens. Her three likely diagnoses: urinary blockage that he passed on his own, constipation, or Isabella traumatized him.

When we brought him home he took one look at Isabella, growled, hissed and hid under our bed. He has stayed in our room for the last 48 hours. Anytime Isabella comes in he hisses and growls. I've bought a second litter box and feeding dish so she can stay out of our room. When Isabella isn't around he purrs and is very affectionate and lovable.

Isabella just came in our bedroom. They had a ten minute standoff the ended with much drama from Phineas. Lots of growling and hissing and he is back under the bed hiding and she is once again banished from the bedroom. Who knows how long it will be before he'll decide to emerge.

I have no clue what to do at this point. They've always been inseparable. Guess I'll have to call the vet and find out how to get them to work out their problems.

This was taken Saturday, a mere 24 hours before all the drama. This used to be the norm. I wonder if we will ever get back to this.

Jenn - Posted from my iPhone

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Maybe that lady you used to work with could come talk to him and then let you know what is going on??