Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Grocery Shopping

I used to blog regularly about grocery shopping with all the kids in tow.  It was always such an adventure.  Especially back in the days when I had the twins in the stroller, which I pushed, and Charlotte strapped in the cart, which I pulled behind me, all while Rehm walked and talked our ears off. 

Grocery shopping is not that interesting anymore but it is still interesting when all four go along and we are doing a full shopping trip.  Today was no exception.  Overall, they are great in the store.  It doesn't hurt that they are big enough to send back an aisle or two to grab something we forgot or to send to the restroom in pairs when needed.  But, having five people trying to stay together in the store and out of everyone else's way is not an easy task. I'm lucky that most  of the other shoppers are patient with us and find them more endearing than annoying.  Notice I said most.

My kids are loud.  My kids are all over the place.  My kids are oblivious of their surroundings.  My kids have a short attention span.  My kids get in other shoppers' way.  My kids want to hold the lists.  My kids want to be done, NOW!  My kids are kids and no kid really wants to be grocery shopping.  I can't say I blame them as it isn't my favorite activity either. 

I do my best to make them aware of their surrounding and remind them to mind their manners.  I try to use the grocery store as a place to work on reading, math, budgeting and other life skills.  I try to keep them quiet.  I try to discourage running, dancing and spinning in circles.    But they aren't perfect and neither am I.  Grocery shopping is just not a fun chore for any of us. 

But, I had a giddy realization today.  I don't have to take any of my children grocery shopping for the next nine months! Oh, my, goodness!  Do you know how happy that makes me?  Do you realize I can cut 50% off my grocery shopping time?  Yay!  I'm just thrilled.  And you know what, I know four other people in my house who are also thrilled by this.

Now, I wonder how long it will be until I write a post about missing the kids while I'm grocery shopping?
Jenn


1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I thought about this last week and wondered if you had realized it. Am waiting to see how long it takes you to "miss them".