Thursday, August 18, 2011

What Do You Mean "There Are Two?"

In writing my last post, I realized that I wasn't blogging when I got pregnant with the twins.  In fact I didn't start blogging until they were six months old.  I realized, I've never talked about what it was like to find out we were going from a family of four to a family of six.  So I thought I would remedy that.

In the Summer of 2005, Michael took a new job that required him to travel four days a week, every week.  At the time, Michael was making a career change and the travel was necessary to make the change.  We as a family were OK with it.  I had wanted another baby for a while and finally convinced Michael that a "third" child made sense.

Of course, I got to call  him in Chicago to tell him I was pregnant because he was traveling.  Then my first appointment arrived.  This not being our first baby and with Michael traveling so much, I didn't even try to schedule it for a time he could go. The appointment was going along just typically.  My OB was giving me the run down of the next nine months and then he did an ultrasound to check my dates.  At that point, he said, "Forget everything I just told you, there are two babies!"  I  started laughing.  My OB was more shocked that I was.  It was extremely funny and makes me laugh just remembering it.

Of course, I now had to tell my dear husband that not only had I talked him into having a baby, but oops, we are having two.  I was a bit nervous to make that phone call.  I wasn't 100% sure how he was going to react.  Knowing my husband and know his "well, there's nothing we can do about it now, so we are just as well to embrace it" attitude I wasn't overly concerned.  But having another baby had been completely my idea and while he agreed I was a bit afraid of him feeling like this was "all my fault."

After the exam, I called Michael, in Chicago and told him our news.  He was at lunch, luckily.  He said, "You're joking!"  I assured him I was not.  He started laughing and laughed uncontrollably for several minutes.  I think he was a bit overwhelmed.  I can't say that I blame him.  I was, too.

I came home, scanned the ultrasound picture and sent it to him so that he would have proof.  Then I scheduled an appointment for that Friday so he could see them with his own eyes. 

When we told the grandparents, they all started laughing.  Yes, at our house, twins mean laughter.  Five years later we are all still laughing.

Does that mean it has all been easy?  Absolutely, NOT!  Having four children in a span of five years with two being the same age has been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  The twin pregnancy took a serious toll on my body for a couple of years after they were born.  It also took a huge toll on me emotionally, as I was determined to do-it-all, and I couldn't. Financially having one more than we planned on makes a big difference as well.

Has it been the best experience, ever? Yes, it has.  I wouldn't change it for a minute.  I am so blessed to have these special girls in my life. 

Jenn

No comments: