Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Cat Who Stole Christmas

All I have done this week is laundry, cooking and more cooking. Last night I mentioned that maybe I wouldn't make Christmas Cake this year. That idea was met with very stony silence from my wonderful husband. When I remarked about his silence being my answer he said he was still trying to comprehend the idea. Nothing more was said about the cake.

Today a neighbor called and invited all four of the kids over to play. I took that opportunity to make the cakes (red velvet and white cake marbled together). They turned out perfect. I had them cooling on the counter in the kitchen. They weren't completely cool when I needed to run to the post office. To keep the cats out of them, not that I was actually concerned about them getting into the cake, I covered them with dishtowels and went on my merry way.

When we got home, I went in the kitchen for something and noticed cake crumbs coming out from under the dish towels. I was concerned but not overly. Then I lifted the dish towel and saw the complete damage. Isabella had apparently decided to walk on, lay on and eat the cakes. All three layers were ruined. Did I mention I had seriously considered not making cake this year? Did I mention the cat might need a new home?



OK, so I'm not 100% sure it was Isabella. I didn't actually see her do it. She didn't have crumbs on her cute little black nose. But I did catch her on the counter again after that. I think she was trying to get back to the cake. I think this was her pay back for her new look I gave her yesterday.

Side note here: For all of you who have received baked goods from me, I promise the cats don't usually roam the counters. My trusty spray bottle is doing a good job of teaching them they are not allowed up there. Apparently Christmas Cake was just too tempting.

For those of you who don't know, Christmas Cake is a marbled red velvet/white cake with Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting. I've been told that it "tastes like Christmas."

1 comment:

Martha said...

That is a beautiful cake!
Love the marbling.