Friday, March 23, 2007

A Friend of the Earth


Yesterday it was drizzling. Charlotte started singing "Rain, Rain Go Away" at breakfast. I told her that when Rehm was little (before she was born) we used to sing it a little different. I sang her this version:

Rain, rain go away,
Come again...NEVER!

Charlotte did not like this version. She told me "that is not right, Mommy! You can't sing it that way." I asked why not and her response, "Because it has to rain to wash the Earth. We have to keep the Earth clean!" We had this exact same conversation several times throughout the day. It was really bothering her.

OK so was Earth Day this week and I didn't know it? Have they been talking about take care of the Earth at school? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for doing our part to keep the Earth clean (within reason - I'm not calculating my carbon foot print and planting trees to offset it or anything. Actually I just want to say for the record, my carbon footprint is probably smaller than the single person's who drives a hybrid, since I get to divide my emissions by the number of occupants in the vehicle and most of the time there are a minimum of three occupants and I drive a LEV. Ah but I digress...) But I was a little surprised at the strength of her reaction. Which of course led me to believe maybe it was Earth Day after all...

Happy Drizzly Day,
Jenn

No comments: