Thursday, March 22, 2007

What is a Normal Week?

There has been a lot of craziness around here in the last few weeks. What with trying to kill the cat, Michael having pneumonia, Papa and Cici being here and spring break. I was ready for a break this week. You know a nice "normal" week where everyone is healthy and there are no surprises or sickness. You know that week you are always wishing for where everything goes smoothly and you don't forget anyone's lunch or show up at the doctor on the wrong day. I'm starting to think a "normal" week is a myth. Someone is just perpetuating the idea of a "normal" week so that we will all look forward to it and be disappointed when it doesn't occur.

Actually my hypothesis is that the "normal" week is actually the week of unexpected occurrences. Or at least that is how it seems to me. Every week something throws a wrench in the plan and usually by Monday afternoon the "normal" week is already out the window. If this happens every week, wouldn't that make IT normal? Hmmm... I think I may be on to something. So I really don't wish for the "normal" week but the "uneventful" week.

So what has made this week "normal?"

Ruby enjoying green beans!

Ruby woke up during the night Saturday with a fever. Her only other symptom was a runny nose that she had had for about three weeks. On Monday the fever was still hanging around so I called the doctor. The nurse and I decided it sounded viral and didn't need an appointment. Tuesday afternoon the fever got higher so I called for an appointment for Wednesday. It was not a fun appointment for poor Ruby. She had a finger stick to see what her white cell count was doing. It came back high so the doctor wanted to get a urine sample. Unfortunately he decided she needed to be catheterized to get the sample. The results showed a UTI so then poor Ruby had to get a shot of antibiotics. By the time they came to check her leg to make sure she didn't have a reaction to the shot she was DONE! The nurse just looked at her and Ruby started crying big crocodile tears. Poor baby.

The good news is that she is feeling much better today and her fever is much lower. Unfortunately I don't think she will be happy to see Dr. Bayer in two weeks for a recheck and well baby visit. In case you are curious, Ruby weighed 20 pounds, 6 ounces and Eliza Claire weighed 22 pounds, 7 ounces.

So if Ruby's doctor ordeal wasn't enough, I managed to lose the cat yesterday and Tuesday as well. I think the cat is about to become more trouble than he is worth! You see, in the last month or so he has been going in our fenced backyard some. He really seems to enjoy these jaunts and sits at the back door and begs to go outside. Well, Tuesday he went out and it started raining. And you know cats, they don't particularly like rain and Zach who had NEVER been out in the rain really didn't like it! So I heard him meowing to come in but I was in the middle of something (probably changing a diaper of feeding someone a bottle) and couldn't go get him right then. Of course by the time I went to get him I couldn't find him. After about 5 minutes of calling him and looking I found him OUTSIDE the gate, in the front yard. Oops, he was only supposed to be in the backyard.

After Zach's great escape, Michael and I decided that maybe Zach should not be allowed in the back yard anymore. Of course that didn't last 24 hours! Charlotte let him out when she was going to play in the back yard yesterday. Of course when we went to look for him last night we couldn't find him. This really worried Michael, but I took the love and logic approach - it was Zach's problem and Zach's choice to come home. I just hoped he made a good choice. Luckily when Michael took the dogs out in the middle of the night Zach was waiting at the back door to be let in. So I guess he really does like us after all.

Note to self, don't let the cat out again.

Charlotte funny quote of the week: Mommy, you need to pray to God and tell him not to put anymore babies in your tummy!

Jenn

No comments: