Friday, March 23, 2007

Hummus Recipe

This is the best recipe. I must have some of this hummus in the fridge at all times. It is what I eat for lunch most days on a wheat English muffin or wheat pita. My friend Deeann gave me the recipe and I just LOVE it!

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

TUSCAN HUMMUS WITH CHECCA

Hummus:

8-10 med. garlic cloves

3.c. drained cannellini. beans (chick peas or great northern work too)

(about 2 19-oz.cans)

1/2 c. sesame paste (raw tahini, have it at Whole Foods or place like that)

1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil

1/4 c. lemon juice

1 T. + 1/2 tsp. soy sauce

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. ground cumin

1/8 tsp. ground coriander

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4-1/2 c. cold water-if needed

garnish with chopped parsley or basil

8 pita breads

In a food processor, process garlic until it is finely minced.

Add the beans and pulse to coarsely chop the beans. With the food

processor running, add the sesame paste, olive oil, lemon juice and

soy sauce. Scrape down the sides. Add salt, cumin, coriander and

pepper. Process until thoroughly blended. If needed, add some water

so it is a good consistency for dipping. Transfer to a bowl and cover

tightly. Refrigerate to chill. Serve with pita bread (preheated in 250

oven) and Checca.

Checca: (optional)

2 Ibs. ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes cut into 1/2-inch dice

2 tsp. salt

1 T. minced fresh basil

1 T. minced garlic

1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil

Toss tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and oil
together. Refrigerate until well chilled.


So far I have not made the Checca, just the hummus. And if you know me you know I can not follow a recipe. I must make changes. Here are my changes to the Hummus. I use chick peas. My store doesn't have Tahini so I use natural peanut butter instead. I don't add the salt or coriander (I don't have any coriander and keep forgetting to purchase it) and I don't add any water. Otherwise I follow the recipe :)

Enjoy!
Jenn

No comments: