Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Belated Birthday Howdy

I can not believe he lived to see another birthday!  Howdy, our wonderful smooth coat collie, turned 13 on 1/10.  I never thought he would live to see 12 much less 13!

Howdy is a sweet boy.  He has always been a very laid back dog and never gotten in to any trouble. He likes to be in the same room as the people but he doesn't really want too much attention.  He's content to just lay on the floor and sleep as long as his people are nearby.

His favorite treat is ice.  When he was younger he always came to check on anyone who sneezed.  He doesn't do that anymore.  I'm not sure if it is due to difficulty getting up or difficulty hearing or both.  He does not like people to touch his feet for any reason.  Ever. No matter what. 

For the last couple of months he has started a habit of following me around with his head against my knee.  It is really sweet, but it is also frustrating when trying to cook dinner or vacuum, especially given his frailty.  But I know it is one of the things I'll miss about him when he is no longer here.

He has had arthritis for about five years now that needed periodic medication until about 18 months ago when he progressed to daily medication.  In the last 15 months he has gone from a 90+ pound dog to a 60 pound dog.  He is frail, he falls down frequently, he can't stand for long, a lot of times he needs help getting up, he has accidents in the house about once every two weeks. I think he sleeps about 22 hours a day, he's mostly deaf, starting to have sight problems and maybe even some dementia. But he is still a sweetheart and I'm glad he keeps proving me wrong.

Happy Birthday Old Boy!  I hope its a good year.
Jenn

No comments: