Monday, January 17, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa

About a year ago my grocery store quit carrying my favorite Tomatillo Salsa.  I have had a hard time finding another one I like which has made making my favorite Chicken Enchiladas difficult.  Last week while at the grocery store I finally bought ingredients with the plans of attempting to make my own.  I finally got around to it today and the results were yummy.  Now I think I'll have to change the meal plan for this week to include Chicken Enchiladas.


Tomatillo Salsa
8 tomatillos, husks removed
1 onion quartered
6 cloves garlic
2 jalapenos
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
juice of one lime
1/2 cup cilantro leaves

Place tomatillos, onion pieces, garlic and jalapenos on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.  Place in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes turning once mid way through.  Remove from oven and cool.  Core tomatillos and seed one of the jalapenos.  Place all of the roasted veggies in food processor.  Add salt, pepper, lime juice and cilantro.  Pulse until desired consistency.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

This came out with a nice tangy flavor.  It is very mild on the heat scale.  Next time I might roast my veggies a little longer or at a higher temp and I'll probably leave the seeds in both jalapenos.

No comments: