Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hay Ride


While in NC visiting for the holidays my kids asked their Papa for their traditional hayride.  Eliza Claire was quick to point out that there was not actually any hay on the hayride this time and she was not happy about it. 

We went down behind my grandmother's house to the original house on her property that has always been know as "The Old House." It has been vacant since before I was born.  I remember as a child getting to go inside and look around.  It was one of my favorite things to do.  It is no longer in good enough shape for that which is sad as I would have loved to see my kids reaction to it.  The house has been added on to at least a couple of times and the original house is a log cabin. No one in my family has lived in the house since before my grandmother was born (1922) and the house she lives in now was built - I believe her house was built in 1908 but I'm not sure.  The Old House was a rental property until the 60s I believe.  If I remember correctly they quit renting it after the tenants caused a fire in one of the tobacco barns.
 




I tried to get a group picture of all the grandkids for my mom.  I didn't have good luck.  Here are some of the attempts.






No comments: