Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Children and Cell Phones

I've always thought it was ridiculous to see a elementary school aged child walking around with a cell phone. I see a few pull them out on their walk home from school everyday. I mean really do they need a phone? Really? Really! I've always said I didn't see why a child would need one until at least high school and then maybe not until they start driving.

But I have a confession to make.

When Rehm came home from school last Friday he announced that it was Cookie Friday. A wonderful neighbor makes cookies for all the school kids and serves them in her yard on the first Friday of each month. The twins were sick and asleep. Charlotte was playing happily on the computer. But it was Cookie Friday and Rehm wanted to go. What to do?

The neighbor lives around the corner from us. So it isn't possible to just watch Rehm go and make sure all is OK. So what did I do? I whipped out my cell phone, reminded him what button to push to call home and told him to call me when he got there! Yes, I handed the seven year old a cell phone and told him to use it. He called about a minute later to say he had arrived. I told him to call me when he was leaving their house so I would know when he would be home. About 15 minutes later he called to ask if he could stay longer. I talked to my neighbor to make sure she didn't mind and let him stay. I reveled in how nice it was to allow him the freedom to go to Cookie Friday without dragging the girls out of bed.

So would I let him have a phone all the time? No. Do I see situations where they can be useful? Absolutely. I've thought seriously about adding an additional phone to our line just to have on hand for times when it would be convenient for him to have one. But not yet...though there is a good chance I'll be eating my words about no cell phone until high school...

Jenn

1 comment:

Cathi_in_TX said...

Why couldn't you have just told him to borrow the home phone and call you when he got there and when he was leaving?

No 7 year old needs a phone in my opinion! :)