Monday, December 01, 2008

Nightly Conversation with My Dear Husband

Almost every night Michael goes to sleep before I do. Almost every night the same conversation ensues:

Michael: Are you going to watch something on TV? (He has usually been watching something sports related while I'm reading)

Me: I don't know, maybe in a few minutes.

Michael: OK, I'll leave the TV on for you. (He then rolls over, leaves the TV on whatever sports station it was on and starts snoring)

During this whole conversation he makes it sound like he is doing me some great, wonderful favor by leaving the TV on. In reality, he likes to fall asleep listening to the TV, especially sports.

Last night the conversation went something like this:

Michael: Are you going to watch something on TV? (He has usually been watching something sports related while I'm reading)

Me: I don't know, maybe in a few minutes.

Michael: OK, I'll leave the TV on for you.

Me: Wait a second, why don't you just turn it off and I can turn it back on if I decide to watch something.

Michael: Well, I wouldn't mind listening to it.

Me: Then why don't you ask me every night if I mind turning the TV off after you go to sleep? Why do you have to act like you are doing me this huge favor by leaving it on when I may or may not watch it at all? And then you leave it on sports. If I was going to watch it I certainly wouldn't watch sports. So why can't you just admit you want the TV on? Why do you feel the need to pretend you are doing something nice for me? If it were up to me I'd read in peace and then turn it on later if I decide to watch anything.

[OK, from here on I'm not really sure what was said but this was the gist/feel of the rest of the conversation]

Michael: Fine then, just turn it off.

Me: Oh no! I can't do that when you are being so nice to leave it on for me.

Michael: (I think at this point he rolled over and ignored me)

To prove my point, I took this opportunity to turn the TV from ESPN to HGTV and proceed to read my book ;) And no, I never got around to watching something on TV.

Bets on what the conversation is tonight?

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

I don't think I want to know...

Unknown said...

Girl, you may be on the male naughty list' but I do believe there will be a parade held in your honor by women. I love it! (and love you too)