Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Look what finally made it to Texas

I went grocery shopping tonight. I needed hot sauce, Tabasco sauce, red pepper sauce, whatever you call it. I was shocked to see Texas Pete brand hot sauce. Texas Pete is made by TW Garner Food Company in Winston-Salem, NC. It has just now made it to my grocery store in Texas.

I did not know Texas Pete was made in my home town until I was in high school and had a field trip to their manufacturing site. I think it was for my economics class. I found it very interesting, especially giving the quantities they mixed in a single batch.

Sometime early in my relationship with Michael Texas Pete came up. I have no idea why or how. But he thought it was hilarious that a product with Texas in the name was made in North Carolina and that it was not even available for purchase in Texas. We also went round and round about the proper name for red pepper sauces. He says hot sauce is salsa and that red pepper sauce is Tabasco. Of course growing up with called all red pepper sauce Texas Pete because that is what was in our refrigerator and what was in any local restaurant when you asked for hot sauce. Which is probably how Texas Pete came up in the first place. We were probably eating something that could use a splash of hot sauce and I probably said something like, "this needs some Texas Pete." To which he said, "What is Texas Pete?" To which I would have said "Texas Pete - you know hot sauce." And then I'm sure he said, "You mean Tabasco?" To which I said, "No, I mean Texas Pete." You get the idea...

But after reveling in the fact that Texas Pete is now available at my local grocery store, I bought Red Devil (my normal brand choice in the Lone Star state) because it was about 40% cheaper. How sad is that?

Jenn

PS And yes, I took pictures in the grocery store, again.

3 comments:

Cathi_in_TX said...

Funny. I often wondered the same thing. I would buy 4-5 bottles in SC and bring them back to Dallas. I was so happy to find it in the store here in Illinois.

Keri said...

Haha, I was just marveling at the fact that you have your camera while grocery shopping.

Marilyn Maniscalco Henley said...

When we lived in St Louis 1976-78, my mother used to mail us Wolf Brand Chili WITHOUT BEANS because we couldn't buy it there. Very heavy packages.