Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What Have I Agreed To?


Oh my, I think I might be in trouble. We told Ruby and Eliza Claire several months ago that when they were ready to give up their pacis we would take them to Build-A-Bear and they could make any animal they wanted.

Tonight at bed time, I mentioned that Charlotte gave up her paci before she turned three. I pointed out that they were almost three and it might be time to give up their pacis and be really big girls. Ruby's initial reaction was a resounding "I don't want to be three, I two! I gonna keep my pacis!" Eliza Claire quickly decided she would give me her pacis and started singing an "I'm gonna go to Build A Bear" song. Ruby of course had to follow suit.

Before leaving the room, we had to talk about what kind of animals they wanted. Eliza Claire wants a bear that is already dressed. Ruby wants a Hello Kitty with a Hello Kitty chair and clothes on. They also want to ride the merry-go-round at BAB - it is actually outside the store. I told them they could have an animal and clothes for the animal. I did not agree to a chair for the silly things or the merry-go-round ride. I think that is already more than Charlotte got when she gave up her pacis. I think she just got the animal, a bunny named Lisa, with no clothes or other accessories.

Ruby said she was going to miss her paci like she misses her kitty cat Zachary who died. She went on to talk about when her pacis died she was going to miss them. So cute.

As I write, they are both running around their room and I think I just heard a, "Mommy I want my paci." So I might not have to worry about a trip to BAB for a few more days, weeks, months - who knows.

I'm back from the paci run. As I got upstairs I heard Ruby say, "I don't want a bear! I want a paci." I gave her a paci. Eliza said she wanted an animal so I assured her that she could still go to BAB tomorrow as long as she didn't have a paci tonight. By the time I left the room, Ruby had given her paci back to me and was back on board with an animal from BAB.

I hear crying again and something about wanting a paci. I think it is Ruby, again. I'm afraid it is going to be a long night. I really think Eliza Claire is ready to give up her paci. I think Ruby is just caving to peer pressure. I don't want to think about what the means for the future...

Guess I should go see who wants a paci now.
Jenn

Edited to add: Ruby was the first to fall asleep (around 9:45). Eliza Claire was still laying in the floor chanting to herself that she was a big girl and didn't need a paci. As of about 10pm both girls are quiet and neither has a paci - assuming neither found one I missed when I collected them...

2 comments:

Jill said...

Wishing you paci-free dreams from Richmond.

Brenna and Molly said...

Good luck! I'll be waiting for an update in the morning. Molly gave hers up just before 3 too - right after Brenna lost a tooth and the Tooth Fairy came. Next thing you know the "Binky Fairy" came and took them all away cold turkey.